I’ve always wondered why we refer to anything ‘easy’ as ‘as easy as apple pie’, when in reality making an apple pie isn’t all that easy? But now, I think I know why: they have been making and gobbling down my Cheater’s Apple Pies.
In these pies, I cheat a little to get out of making the tedious pie crust with a day old dry roti slathered with almond butter. The dryness of the roti gives this crust a head start in the oven for crispy goodness as the almond butter gives it that yummy, nutty, butteriness that all pie crusts must have. It also is on sog-patrol to shield the roti from the juices from the apple mix.
So what are you waiting for, try it and get to know why we refer to ‘easy’ as ‘as easy as apple pie’.
Cheater's Apple Pie with day old Rotis
For the crust
- 1 day old dry roti or any neglected flatbread you have lying around
- 1 tbsp almond butter
For the topping
- 1 apple (choose a Kashmiri apple, or a Washington)
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp, and another 1 tsp for later of salted butter
- 1 to 2 tsp of honey, depending on how sweet you want it
- 1 tbs of apricot preserve
- Start by preheating your oven to 180C. Next, spread the almond butter evenly over the roti, making sure you spread it all the way to the edge.
- Thinly slice up your apples. Don’t forget to get the seeds out.
- Quickly melt 1 tsp of butter over the stove and add it over the sliced apples along with the cinnamon powder and honey. Mix well with your hands and adjust the cinnamon and honey depending on how you like it.
- Arrange the apple slices over the roti slathered with almond butter.
- Next, pinch over the remaining 1 tsp of butter over the apple mixture and pop it all into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. You know its done when you run a knife over the edge of the roti peeping out on the side and it sounds and feels crisp. When it’s at that point, take it out and let it cool for 5 mins.
- After it has cooled a bit, brush on some apricot preserve to give it a nice shine.
- Slice it with a sharp knife and serve warm as it or with ice cream.
- If you are making these for more than one person just double, triple, quadruple… the quantities.
- Also don’t just stop at apples and apple pie. You can use any stone fruit like peaches and apricots. Just drop the cinnamon.